Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Armchair BEA -- Author Interaction

Ok, so for today's Armchair BEA topic of author interaction... Since I am still a very new blogger, I haven't had the opportunity to have any in-person interactions with authors yet. I have, however, participated in a few Twitter exchanges with authors. I've interacted on Twitter with Chris Bohjalian, Roxane Gay, Sally O'Reilly, and Porochista Khakpour. And Melanie Benjamin favorited my tweet about visiting the Lindbergh estate. And as absolutely goofy as it sounds, for a book lover, that can be very exciting stuff!

But, you know, the whole concept of authors reading your reviews ... I had never thought much about that until I created my blog recently and started tweeting my posts. I had been posting reviews to Goodreads for years--and although I suppose I always knew that some authors read their reviews there, it somehow seemed sort of anonymous. When I blog, by contrast, especially when I am reviewing an ARC before it has been released, it seems more immediate. There's an inherent responsibility to write a fair, proper, appropriate, and just all-around polished review, especially if the author may read actually it. And, you know, I don't want the author to think I am a complete doofus. :) I feel more pressure now!

But I'm curious ... What do you think about including the author's twitter handle when you send a review out on twitter? I know some bloggers do this routinely, but others think it's awkward. I'll admit I've done this only after writing a good review of the author's book.

11 comments:

  1. The twitter handle question is a really good one. I usually don't include it unless I happen to know (via social media) the author and have been talking back and forth with them already. If it is an author I don't "know" I don't. Having said that, I am interested to see what others say, because I do still wonder if I am doing it the right way...or if there is even a right way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting...I think it's the "right way" if that is what feels right to you! It seems to me there are different ways of going about this. This came up on the Armchair BEA "Twitter party" this afternoon. But I confess, the tweets were flying so fast, I couldn't keep up half the time! Have to go back and read them, and maybe gain more insight on what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say, I don't know if I'm doing it right or not, but if it was a really good book, or a local author, I try to add the twitter handle. And so far I've always received positive responses from them even if I didn't know them prior to that at all.
    Laura @ Through Raspberry Colored Glasses

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually only include it when I loved a book. Sometimes knowing authors might read the review makes me focus more and I thereby produce a better review (I think, I hope) but I try not to let it influence me too much because reviewing isn't about making friends (some of the time it is ;) ) but about writing your honest opinion of a book! Great answer, hopefully I'll see you around again soon!

    My Author Interaction post

    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juli, so true that reviewing isn't about making friends! We all say we want to provide an "honest review," and it's important to keep to that. But I agree, knowing the author might read it helps improve your review as well ... that can be a powerful motivator for writing a meaningful review.

      Delete
  5. I do use twitter handles even though i agree it is sometimes embarrassing. Especially if the review is not stellar.I do it because of the times when a author reply back and say they like or loved my review. When it leads us to talk about other things. It worth it to me to because I want to here from authors and this is one of my means of doing so. I also think that its important because a lot of authors do want that feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good point about feedback, Micai--that's one of the reasons, presumably, that many of us got into blogging. We want to create that dialogue between authors and readers ... and Twitter seems like one of the best ways to do that. But yeah, I really think I am only going to include the author's twitter handle if it's a positive review. Do you--and others--tweet your negative reviews, or just leave them on your blog?

      Delete
  6. It's funny because I didn't use an author's Twitter handle once, but someone else did, and he retweeted me. All I did was say I bought his book. I have mixed feelings about it really.
    This whole topic has me thinking more about reviews in general. I've been reviewing on Goodreads for years too, and I don't know that I always took the time to say why I didn't like a book. It does seem more impersonal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you know, some of the Goodreads reviews I've written in the past were not very well thought-out. I was really just writing them for my friends on the site, all people I knew personally . . . because most of my reviews were one of thousands or tens of thousands, it didn't seem to matter much what I said. But blogging does prompt you think more about your reviews. I guess that's a good thing .... but maybe makes the whole thing seem a little overwhelming?

      Delete
  7. I rarely tweet a review directly to the author... Mostly because my reviews are auto-tweeted when they post. I would only ever tag an author in a rave review, though. I'm all about honesty, and I will write negative reviews from time to time, but there's no need to rub anyone's face in the fact that you didn't like their book, you know? My two cents anyway. Nice little corner of the internet you've got here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yeah, it's important to be honest as a reviewer.. Otherwise, where is your credibility? But definitely no need to rub anyone's face in a negative review.

      Delete