Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Armchair BEA Introduction

So, I'm a very new book blogger . . . pretty much clueless about blogging, the Bookternet, etc. I'm not new to loving great books, of course, but I jumped headfirst into blogging knowing, um, ZILCH, about how to do it. Yeah, you know, not the best idea. Anyway, apparently it is de rigeur for book bloggers to gather at BookExpo America in NYC this week. I am so green that I didn't even know about this until it was too late to arrange to attend. And I live in a nearby state. I'm not even sure what bloggers DO at BEA ... but book giveaways and meeting for drinks have been mentioned a lot on Twitter, so clearly I am missing out on something very important!

Fortunately, I have just discovered something called Armchair BEA that allows bloggers to participate virtually .... "a conference for book bloggers in the comfort of our favorite chair." Perfect, and I'll add a glass of wine tonight so I don't feel so bitter missing all the "meeting for drinks!" Alright, so Armchair BEA asks that you introduce yourself by answering a few questions. Looks like I'm a day late to the party, but here goes:

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from?

I've been blogging for only a little over a month, from the lovely (truly!) state of New Jersey. I got into blogging because I love to talk about books... and although I participate in 2 books clubs and have been posting reviews on Goodreads for a few years, I needed a place to really let loose my inner Book Goof. And, you know, not have people laugh. I'd like to find other Book Goofs to connect with!

Describe your blog in just one sentence. Then, list your social details so we can connect more online.

Ok, one sentence: "My blog Readers' Oasis is brand-spanking new, and no doubt full of ridiculous newbie mistakes, but also, I hope, has some insights to offer about new literary, historical, and contemporary fiction and assorted bookish topics."

On Twitter, I'm @Leila_A_Rice. Very happy to connect with other book bloggers on Twitter! My Facebook account is not book-related, at this point (do bloggers make a separate FB account for their book-related content?) and I haven't ventured onto Instagram yet. Pinterest scares me. I'm interested in what other bloggers do; how many different social media platforms do you really have to participate in to be considered active in the blogging community?

What was your favorite book read last year? What's your favorite book so far this year?

Last year, tie between Khaled Hosseini, "And the Mountains Echoed" and Amor Towles, "Rules of Civility." This year, so far, I think "Frog Music" by Emma Donoghue.

What does your favorite/ideal reading space look like?

In a lounge chair, beach or poolside! Or in the rocking chair on my porch. In winter, in my armchair, the piece of furniture closest to the fireplace. Oddly, other family members seem to think they can sit there.

Share your favorite book or reading related quote.

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." Lemony Snicket, Horseradish.

(By the way, credit to Amber of Shelf Notes for the cool Armchair BEA image above!)

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your personality! I'm new to blogging, too, but I joined up with a couple of girls that knew what they're doing, so it doesn't show on the blog. But when I had my own, it was a DISASTER, so trust me when I say yours looks just fine! You read a lot of the books I'm interested in, and I totally want to follow you the second I figure out how. I'll get your replies via email, so I'll use them as a reminder to ask one of my superiors.
    Wonderful to meet you and good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! HA, I'm still working out how to follow people, too! I need to join some kind of Blogging-for-Technophobes group. Maybe the big bloggers could do outreach to help me--like community service! Which is your blog?

      Delete
    2. Flirting with Fiction! Actually, you visited it today. I remember because I clicked on your link and was sent here. Stiiiilll working out following though.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I did visit it, Danielle! Love your site! One great thing about this whole Armchair BEA experience is that it's really prompting me to improve some of my technical skills.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, I love that you want to connect with other book goofs -- me too! Danielle's blog is flirtingwithfiction.com. I just found it through this event and it looks really cool. Have fun with Armchair BEA!
    Visit my blog at Emerald City Book Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Lory...I will! Book Goofs UNITE!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That's so cool that people just know the blog!
      (Totally ignoring the fact that it's there if you click on my picture and that's prroooobably how you found it)

      Delete
  3. I was going to say BOOK GOOFS UNITE! But then I see that you said it in the comment above and I don't want to be a copy cat ;)

    Hope you're having a great ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, now I wish I had named my blog BOOK GOOFS UNITE! Aw, shucks..... Well, maybe it could be my slogan or something! Anyway, yes, I'm loving connecting with the assorted Book Goofs, Book Nerds, and just Book Lovers at Armchair BEA. :)

      Delete
  4. Saw your comment on Andi's blog and just stopped over to say hello. I loved both And the Mountains Echoed and Rules of Civility... Frog Music is on my wish list. We book goofs need to stick together ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Your blog is beautiful, JoAnn. Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete