Monday, June 2, 2014

It's Monday . . . What Are You Reading?

Happy Monday, everyone! Sheila at Book Journey has a cool weekly meme called "It's Monday, What Are You Reading?" Bloggers can link up and discuss what books they are reading right now, what they have just finished, what they hope to read later this week. I decided to start participating today, but it took me until this evening to sit down to the computer. It was one of those crazy, off-kilter Mondays!

So this is the book I am reading right now:

The Girls at the Kingfisher Club by Genevieve Valentine sets the fairy tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses in 1920s Manhattan. The "princesses" are a group of 12 sisters who escape their restrictive father's home at night to go dancing at speakeasies. I thought this might be just a light and fluffy read, but I'm finding it has more depth than I expected. Very interesting! It will be released June 3. I will try to finish in the next couple of days and post my review soon.

And on audio, I am listening to:

Love and Treasure is also starting off well. I have never read a novel by Ayelet Waldman, but when I heard the premise of this one, I had to give it a try. The novel's plot is centered on the Hungarian Gold Train, a train of 40 boxcars full of valuables and gold, worth millions of dollars, stolen from Hungarian Jews during World War II and discovered by US soldiers at the end of the war. Waldman uses the real-life train as a framework for telling three linked fictional narratives. So far, this a very compelling book, and I'm looking forward to continuing.

Yesterday I finished Sisters of Treason, Elizabeth Fremantle's new novel, which will be published July 8, and posted my review. Last week, I also finished reading Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch, although I haven't written my review yet. I was too busy following Armchair BEA! That bloggers' conference, by the way, was such a great means of connecting with other book bloggers and learning new things about the blogging world. I admit that I got a bit sidetracked in my reading and reviewing ... but it was all for a good cause.

What are you reading this week? I hope your Monday wasn't quite as topsy-turvy as mine. Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I read The Girls at the Kingfisher Club this week too! I was nervous as I began it, simply because twelve girls means that there are so many characters to keep track of! I ended up really enjoying it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check to see if you've posted a review later! Yeah, I'm enjoying it as well. It reminds me of Amor Towles' Rules of Civility, which I loved.

      Delete